Like many animal welfare organizations, the Houston Humane Society subscribes to the internationally recognized Five Freedoms:
1. FREEDOM FROM HUNGER OR THIRST by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigor
2. FREEDOM FROM DISCOMFORT by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
3. FREEDOM FROM PAIN, INJURY, OR DISEASE by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
4. FREEDOM TO EXPRESS NORMAL BEHAVIOR by providing sufficient space, proper facilities, and company of the animal's own kind
5. FREEDOM FROM FEAR AND DISTRESS by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering
We strive to give all resident animals at HHS, regardless of their length of stay, all the above and extra enrichments such as TLC, walks in the park, socialization, training, Kong enrichment toys, and so much more until they are matched with their permanent families.