Monty was a horse seized from the Acres Homes area for cruel treatment. His valiant struggle to live was in vain, and he could not be saved. To make certain others don’t end up like Monty, a task force was formed in his honor to ensure other horses live happy, healthy, and humane lives.
Mission: Monty’s Task Force is a cooperative effort of agencies dedicated to ending the abuse, neglect, and cruel treatment of horses, specifically in the Acre’s Homes and surrounding areas, through education, increased access to low cost services, and enforcement of local and state laws.
The task force members include: Houston Humane Society, HPD – North Division’s DRT Unit, Crime Stoppers of Houston, Harris County District Attorney’s Office, Harris County Constables Office Precinct 5, and Houston PetSet.
- Produce and distribute proper horse care and body score sheets to area residents
- Host animal care information booths in conjunction with low cost clinics
- Team up with local feed stores to promote and distribute proper dietary information and care literature
- Low Cost Services
- Offer free microchipping at bi-annual community events
- Offer low cost vaccines, worming, testing, etc. at bi-annual community events
- Provide community of low cost service options available year-round at Houston Humane Society
- Enforcement of Laws
- Utilize HHS report system and Crime Stoppers for private citizens to report suspected animal cruelty, abuse, and/or neglect
- HPD’s North Division DRT Unit (code enforcement) coordinates with HHS Animal Cruelty Investigation Team (Harris County Precinct 5 contracted officers and HHS Staff) to handle investigations
- HHS Animal Cruelty Investigation Team will conduct seizures and provide necessary veterinary care and shelter for abused animals
- The Harris County District Attorney’s Office takes animal cruelty cases seriously and will prosecute abusers under the laws in the State of Texas.
Houston Humane Society hosted the first Horse Clinic in Acres Homes on January 30, 2016. Thirty-three equines and their owners participated in the 4 hour event. Thanks to the sponsorship of Houston PetSet, a free microchip was offered to every horse owner, and low cost vaccines and deworming were available.
of Monty’s Task Force helps us educate the public on proper horse care, brings quality low-cost and free veterinary services to an underserved community, and helps protect horses from cruel situations.