The Houston Humane Society’s Teen Animal Advocate Program is a unique way for young adults in grades 8-12 to get involved in animal welfare. (This new program replaces the previous teen leadership program.)
Teen Animal Advocates will help the Houston Humane Society fulfill its mission of being dedicated to, and working towards, ending cruelty, abuse and the overpopulation of animals while providing the highest quality of life to those brought to us for care by:
- Attending semi-weekly meetings on various animal welfare, outreach, and future professional opportunity topics.
- Volunteering with the Humane Society at adoption events, Pet Pantry, the office, or the kennels. TAAP members will earn a certificate of completion at the end of their cohort.
- By attending every meeting, TAAP members can earn a minimum of 20 volunteer hours. TAAP members will be provided with opportunities to earn additional volunteer hours throughout their cohort and during the summer at Camp Pawsome.
- Conducting an outreach project focused on animal welfare at their school or in their community by the end of their cohort term.
- Examples include: organizing a wish list drive to gather specific items needed by the shelter, creating a presentation about an animal welfare topic, or organizing a fundraising drive to donate to the Humane Society.)
- Connecting with like-minded student leaders in the community.
Teen Animal Advocate Program members should:
- have an interest in animal welfare, companionship, and volunteerism.
- be able to work both independently and in groups.
- demonstrate a positive and respectful attitude towards peers, staff, volunteers, and animals.
Spring Cohort Dates
Saturday, February 10, 2024
Saturday, February 17, 2024
Saturday, March 2, 2024
Saturday, March 9, 2024
Saturday, April 6, 2024
Saturday, April 13, 2024
Saturday, April 20, 2024
Saturday, May 4, 2024
Saturday, May 11, 2024
Saturday, May 18, 2024
- There will be a waitlist available. Waitlist spots are filled in the order they are received and notifications are sent via email. Each family will have 48 hours to respond to the email and/or register for the program. We’re sorry – we are not able to predict when openings will occur or how many there will be after registration has taken place.
- Teens are limited to one cohort per school year
- TAAP participation fee is $200
- Fees due one week prior to the start date. Failure to pay means a forfeiture of your spot in TAAP.
- Limited scholarships are available for students in financial need who would not otherwise be able to participate in the program. All sections of the application must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Acceptance and regret letters will be emailed out to all applicants. The TAAP scholarship application is limited to students in households that demonstrate financial need.
- Participants must be able to attend ALL scheduled dates. Make up dates are not available and registrations cannot be refunded or transferred to other sessions.
- TAAP members will receive:
- A TAAP t-shirt
- TAAP bag
- TAAP water bottle
Meeting Topics Will Cover:
- Irresponsible Dog Breeding [Puppy Mills]
- Combatting Pet Overpopulation [Spaying & Neutering]
- Fundraising [Why & How]
- Animal Rescue Marketing
- Exploring Our Food System with the Animals of Farm Sanctuary
- Animal Advocacy [Speaking Up & Speaking Out]
- Animal Careers
- Animal Cruelty in Texas
- The Link: The Connection Between Animal Abuse and Violence Towards Humans
- At the Last Meeting, TAAP Members Will Showcase Their Outreach Projects
- TAAP applications are due Friday, January 12, 2024
- Scholarship applications due Friday, January 12, 2024
- Applicants will be notified by Friday, January 19, 2024
- Spring Cohort Fee Due Saturday, February 3, 2024
- Fill out the Google Form application
- The Application Consists of:
- Section 1: Introduction to the Program
- Section 2: Student Information
- Section 3: Parent/Guardian Information
- Section 4: Emergency Contact
- Section 5: Letter of Recommendation & Short Answer Responses
- Section 6: Disclaimers & Waivers
- Obtain and submit a letter of recommendation. (Letters of recommendation can be written by teachers, coaches, employers, etc.)
- Once accepted, you and a parent/guardian must attend a TAAP orientation on Zoom to go over the program and have questions answered.
Please use the form below to pay for your membership AFTER your application has been approved.