Fix Felix & Friends For Free
A No Cost Spay/Neuter & Health Program
The Houston Humane Society experiences the daily consequences of pets not being sterilized by receiving hundreds of unwanted pets and litters a year. However, we are also aware that finances, especially now during a pandemic, prevent pet owners from spaying/neutering their pets and providing basic pet health care needs. To help control the crisis of animal homelessness, aging medical concerns, and behavioral issues in pets in Houston, the Houston Humane Society Fix Felix & Friends for Free program offers free spays/neuters, microchipping, and annual vaccines to income-qualifying families. Even if your pet is already spayed/neutered, they are still eligible to receive microchipping, and annual vaccines.
Why Fixing Your Pet Is Important
- Spaying a female cat/dog can extend their life by preventing uterine infections and breast tumors
- Neutering a male cat/dog can extend their life by preventing testicular cancer and prostate issues
- Neutering can help curb aggression, urine marking around the house, and dominance aggression due to the lack of male hormone production
- Unfixed animals are more likely to run away to find a mate, which often results in injury, getting run over, or unwanted pregnancy
Why We Microchip
- A Microchip is a small implant, about the size of a grain of rice, and is injected under the skin of your pet in between it’s shoulder blades. It’s non-removable, and the identification number associated with the chip will help identify your pet if they ever get lost
- 1 in 3 pets will become lost at some point during their lifetime
- 10 million cats & dogs become lost or are stolen in the U.S. every year
- Without ID, 90% of lost pets don’t come home
- With over 50,000 microchip scanners in the U.S., virtually every shelter and veterinary office will have one to help locate the owner of a lost pet
Why You Should Keep Up With Annual Vaccines
- Staying on top of your pet’s annual vaccinations is vital to avoiding preventable diseases, especially ones that are fatal
- If you miss your annual vaccine, chances are you’ll need to come back twice in 4 weeks to get back to optimal protection. We make it easy on you & can email you automatically when your pet is due for vaccinations
How it works
The Fix Felix and Friends for Free Program is a free spay and neuter program for pet owners experiencing financial difficulty.
Applying for the Fix Felix and Friends for Free Program is a simple process, but we regret that not all situations will meet our criteria. To ensure that we are helping those who truly need it, we have set guidelines for eligibility for assistance.
To apply, please click here
The Houston Humane Society’s clinic is Houston’s #1 affordable high-volume full service clinic. HHS is a 501(c)3 organization and receives no local, state, or federal funding. We rely strictly on donations and money generated from these services. Thank you for supporting us.
Want to do more?
Is your pet already spayed/neutered? Great! Please tell your friends/family about all the benefits of sterilizing their animals.
You can donate HERE
to help more pets receive free spay/neuter from our Fix Felix & Friends For Free - No Cost Spay/Neuter Program.
You must permanently own the animal(s) you are submitting a free spay/neuter application for in order to be eligible. If you have stray/temporary animals that need to be fixed or receive wellness services, please contact our on-site animal wellness clinic for our standard rates and scheduling at 713-433-6421.