The Houston Humane Society is excited to announce 15 of the mini horses and Shetland ponies rescued from a property in Grimes County on August 15, 2018, are now available for adoption. After nearly two months of intense medical care, multiple hoof trimmings, dental work, and special diet, the first 15 equines are ready to find their forever home. In the coming weeks and months, we anticipate more of the horses becoming available for adoption.
The horses were part of nearly 300 animals seized from a property in Grimes County after law enforcement found them in deplorable conditions. Many of the dogs found on property have found forever homes right here in the Houston area, and several more have been transferred out to rescue partners. Nearly 50 are still up for adoption
and in need of a forever family; while another 25 are still in need of a foster home for socialization.
For anyone interested in adopting a mini horse or Shetland pony:
- With livestock animals, an appointment for a meet and greet is required.
- The equine and barn animal application can be downloaded and printed here.
- Once completed, please submit the application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note, the adoption fee for each mini horse or Shetland pony is $200. This helps cover a small fraction of the medical costs and care we have spent rehabilitating each one. At the time of adoption, each horse has had their teeth floated, their hooves trimmed a minimum of twice, an initial round of vaccinations as well as a booster round, a coggins test (with a negative result), and if they are male, they have been castrated.
- Applications will be reviewed and processed on an ongoing basis, and staff will be contacting interested individuals to set up meet and greets with the animals.