Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the homeless animals at the Houston Humane Society! Volunteers are the backbone of the Houston Humane Society’s mission of helping homeless pets. Volunteers work to bring comfort and care to the abused, neglected and abandoned animals in our care.
Become part of our Volunteer team at the Houston Humane Society! We are always recruiting new volunteers! Together we can create a more humane Houston.
Thank you for wanting to donate the gift of your time and love!
How to Become a Volunteer
4 EASY STEPS!
- Complete a Volunteer Application for EACH INDIVIDUAL,
- Attend an informational Zoom meeting
- Attend an in-person pet training class with our Volunteer Team
- You are ready to volunteer!
- The minimum age to volunteer is 10 years of age.
- Volunteers ages 10 - 15 must volunteer with a parent or guardian.
- Individuals 16 and older may volunteer without a parent or guardian.
- Volunteer Starter Pack:
- Cat Track
- Includes Houston Humane Society Volunteer Shirt.
- $20 for individuals
- $40 for parent/child, and $15 for each additional child
- Dog Track
- Includes Houston Humane Society Volunteer Shirt and branded Leash.
- $30 for individuals
- $50 for parent/child, and $15 for each additional child
- Volunteers are required to volunteer 2 days a month for 6 months minimum and helping with one off-site outreach event every 3 months.
- Volunteers who need community service hours for school requirements must serve a minimum of 30 hours.
- Hours cannot be issued for court-ordered community service.
Group Volunteer Projects
Interested in Group Volunteer Projects?
There are many ways for groups or companies to get involved with helping our homeless animals.
To schedule a group volunteer day, please email in this Volunteer Form.
Houston Humane Society Volunteer Testimonials:
My name is Carole and I have volunteered for 14 years. I love walking the dogs and seeing them become more sociable. My favorites are the senior dogs. I feel like the volunteers and staff are all here to help our animals get adopted and find forever homes.
Hello! My name is Debbie. I’ve volunteered for over 6 years. I love walking dogs, especially the new arrivals. My favorite routine is walking a lap, then spending time in a pen area for off leash hug and treat time. I also volunteer with the education team taking dogs and small mammals to schools. It’s a joy to see the excitement of the children interacting with the animals. Working with the HHS staff and other volunteers is the best part of my week.
I’ve been volunteering for 8.5 years. I am a dedicated dog walker on Tuesdays & Thursdays, but also do so much more! I will walk rain or shine! I’ve been to mobile events, Pet Pantry, and many transports, far and wide! I love all the dogs. So much so I’ve adopted many from HHS, I currently have 4 dogs.
Hi, I'm Janice, I have been volunteering for 8.5 years! My favorite things to do are walk the dogs and socialize the scared and difficult ones. I LOVE all the dogs, but the little ones always steal my heart ❤ I have adopted 8 dogs from HHS, all "fosters" lol. Dora, Jade and most recently Pepper have crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I still have 5 little ones who give me so much joy 🥰 I love all the staff and they are always so helpful when I have questions or concerns. HHS is my Happy Place ❤
Hey my name is Karla. I’ve volunteered for 9 months & have also fostered 10 dogs! My favorite part about volunteering is taking the dogs out to a play area and unhooking their leash to see them run around. I love to see their excitement and to see their personalities. I can only go on the weekends but it’s been such a happiness for myself as well!
Hello, my name is Sarah and I am a newer volunteer. The Houston Humane Society's incredible devotion to all animals, as well as the humans involved in their lives, makes me feel honored to be a part of this amazing volunteering program. The staff and established volunteers are exceptionally kind, helpful, and are always ready to help with any question or concern. I love that I can choose my daily activities such as walking dogs, have cuddle time with the mini mammals, or even join in on a pet adoption event to help find homes for our wonderful animals. There is so much to choose from and it's great to be able to help with it all in a meaningful way. I hope to be a part of HHS forever!