Why is Exercising Your Pet Important?
Exercise for your pet significantly improves quality of life. Building strong habits of consistent exercise is critical to help your pets stay healthy. At the Houston Humane Society, our veterinarians can provide you with additional resources to cover exercises well-suited for pets based on their age, breed, and current health conditions. We can also help you in determining if your pet has any underlying health conditions that could prevent certain forms of exercise from being beneficial.
Possible Benefits of Regularly Exercising Your Pet:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthen cardiovascular health
- Help hip joints
- Reduce digestive problems
- Better deal with heat
- Prevent possible behavioral issues related to a lack of exercise (i.e. barking, digging, chewing, hyperactivity, tail chasing, and rough play)
- Increase socialization with people and other animals
- Reduce the risk of developing other health problems down the line
Obesity in pets can cause a lot of unwanted side-effects. Here at the Houston Humane Society, we can help you prevent possible issues from arising and help treat any health problems that may already be present.
Commonly Found Obesity-Related Problems in Pets:
- Poor joints
- Difficulty dealing with heat
- Decreased stamina
- Increased risk of torn ligaments
- Back problems
- Cardiac Issues
- Breathing Problems
- Skin Problems
Visit the Houston Humane Wellness Clinic
If your pet is overweight or if you are just looking for new exercises, you can always speak to one of our Veterinarians or bring your pet into our clinic for more help, too! Schedule an appointment online or give us a call!