Helping Your Pet Stay Healthy & Happy
Exercising Your Pet
Exercise for your pet significantly improves quality of life. Building strong habits of consistent exercise is critical to help your pets stay healthy. At the Houston Humane Society, our veterinarians can provide you with additional resources to cover exercises well-suited for pets based on their age, breed, and current health conditions. We can also help you in determining if your pet has any underlying health conditions that could prevent certain forms of exercise from being beneficial.
Possible Benefits of Regularly Exercising Your Pet:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthen cardiovascular health
- Help hip joints
- Reduce digestive problems
- Better deal with heat
- Prevent possible behavioral issues related to a lack of exercise (i.e. barking, digging, chewing, hyperactivity, tail chasing, and rough play)
- Increase socialization with people and other animals
- Reduce the risk of developing other health problems down the line
Obesity in pets can cause a lot of unwanted side-effects. Here at Houston Humane Society, we can help you prevent possible issues from arising and help treat any health problems that may already be present.
Commonly Found Obesity-Related Problems in Pets:
- Poor joints
- Difficulty dealing with heat
- Decreased stamina
- Increased risk of torn ligaments
- Back problems
- Cardiac Issues
- Breathing Problems
- Skin Problems
Visit Your Local Veterinarian Clinic in Houston, TX
If you need help finding ways to encourage your pet to exercise, you can refer to the above video for ideas and methods. You can also speak to one of our veterinarians or bring your pet into our clinic for more help, too! Our veterinarians can help you come up with exercises that suit your individual lifestyle as a pet owner.