Many kids develop a strong bond with animals. A great way to harness that love for animals is to get involved with animal shelters. At Houston Humane Society we developed multiple programs to engage children throughout their entire childhood. Our programs utilize animals to teach about social-emotional skills and do so in a fun, engaging, and memorable way. To many, there is almost nothing better than spending time with animals in need.
Teen Leadership Program
A half a year program in which teens focus on creating a positive change for animals and their community and learn from animal experts from a variety of fields in the animal world. These teens focus on creating a positive change for animals and people and will learn the ins and outs of working at an animal shelter & with a wide variety of animals, not just cats and dogs. Teen Leaders will find meaningful work helping animals in need rehabilitate, find forever homes, and tell the stories animals cannot tell themselves. This is a 6-month program suitable for teens 13 – 18 years old.
Teen Leadership Program Commitments:
- Once a month Group Training covering a new topic each month
- Volunteer Service at HHS & Community Events
- Eligibility to serve as a Junior Camp Counselor during Camp Pawsome
- Fundraising project for the animals of HHS
Perks of the Teen Leadership Program
- Hands-on experience working with animals
- Leadership development training
- Volunteer experience
- Ability to learn from animal experts
- Certificate upon completion of the program
Pawsome Readers at HHS
The Pawsome Readers Program takes place at Houston Humane Society and is open to kids ages 6 and older. Through this program, kids will read to the cats in our Adoption Center. Studies have shown that reading to animals helps kids gain confidence and improve their literacy skills. As an added benefit, our cats will experience affection from the kids. You can bring your own books or choose from our kid-friendly library.
What's Included in Your Program:
- HHS Lanyard
- Pawsome Readers Bookmark
- Reading Log
- Volunteer Certificate upon completion of program
- Access to all reading days, calendar provided at orientation
- $10 fee for one child, $5 for each additional child
How to Get Started:
- Apply Here! Complete the questionnaire to submit your child into our program.
- Attend orientation where you will learn more about HHS, the Pawsome Reading Program, & how to interact with the cats.
- Get reading!
- After you apply, our Volunteer Coordinator will reach out to you via email with our orientation dates.
- Reading sessions are one-hour time slots open on most weekends.
- Parents must monitor the children at all times.
- This program is reading to cats only.
Birthday Parties at HHS
Host your child's next birthday party at HHS. Parties will include a party room, hands-on animal interactions, time for games and crafts, & a goodie bag for the birthday child.
Birthday Program Includes:
- 3-hour program for $300
- 15 kids plus birthday child's family
- One birthday gift from HHS
- 1-hour playing and interacting with HHS adoptable animals
- 1-hour craft (choose from one of the following: cat castles, animal bead keychains, friendship bracelets, or DIY pet toys)
- 1-hour cake, games, etc.
- HHS will have Humane Education Volunteers to assist in animal interactions
- Parents are responsible for bringing decor, food, plates, party favors, etc.
Girl Scout Badges
Enjoy a fun day at HHS and earn one of the following badges: Pets, Animal Habitats, Animal Helpers, or Voices for Animals.
Badges Available to earn at HHS:
- Brownies: Pets
- Juniors: Animal Habitats
- Cadettes: Animal Helpers
- Seniors: Voice for Animals
Book a tour to learn about animal shelters and a chance to interact with the animals. Add on a service project as well as a bonus.
Children ages 10 and up may volunteer at our shelter. Click here for more information and how to get started!
Questions? Ready to Book?
Contact our Education & Community Outreach Coordinator at Education@houstonhumane.org or 713-341-3319 to book your school program today.