Valentine's Day Safety Tips
At Houston Humane Society, we're wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and humane Valentine's Day! We have a few tips to help you keep your furry valentines safe today.
- Flowers are one of the most common gifts at Valentine's Day, but did you know many different blooms can be toxic to your pet. Some of the most popular toxic flowers include: all types of lilies, tulips, carnations, and even BABY'S BREATH.
- It's not just the blooms you need to worry about. The silica packet you receive with your floral bouquet can also be toxic!
- Thorny roses! Be sure to get rid of the thorns! Biting, stepping on or swallowing their sharp, woody spines can cause serious infection if a puncture occurs.
- Be sure to keep candy, chocolate, and candy wrappers away from your pet's reach, and watch your liquor. Even in small amounts liquor can cause your pet discomfort, and it poses several health risks. Be sure to put away any unfinished drinks, and be careful of spills.
- Lit candles are popular this time of year, be careful your pet doesn't accidentally burn a paw or tip over a candle and start a fire.
- Pick up the paper and ribbon after opening up all of your valentine presents!
- If you are thinking about a pet this Valentine's Day, pick the pet out together. Remember, this is a lifetime commitment. Ditch the surprise element, and plan to spend the day together with your special someone or the whole family picking out your new pet. And remember, adoption is the best option! Houston Humane Society is offering a special Meet Your Match adoption promo with fee waived and 1/2 off select dogs and cats through February 19, 2017.